Project Proposal

Dominic Maurice-Magee

Journalism 2060 / Winter 2022

Part 1. Defining the Project

Introduction:

My project entitled “Traveling in Havana” will attempt to show viewers the mystery of Cuba, and specifically it’s capital Havana through my website. The website will host writings, blogs, photos, and videos of my travels around Havana which at just under 500 years old makes it the oldest city in the Caribbean. 

Rather than focusing on the beauty of the city, I will attempt to focus on the people of Havana. I will discuss who they are, what is important to them, their history and hopefully bring some of their personal stories into discussion to help convey the sense of richness unique to the people of this island state. I will also talk about the effects of the revolution and its impact on relations with the United States, and most importantly the negative effect those relations have had with Cuba.

Rationale:

Relative to the rest of the world, North America is young. We have a relatively short history, newish buildings and we are culturally diversified where aside from First Nations people, we have no truly unique culture such as the Spaniards, the French, the British and other old-world countries. 

Perhaps in part because our generation is so engaged electronically to the world via the Internet and other multi-media forms, we may have lost some of the richness of personal connection with our fellow human beings.

In Cuba, Internet access is limited strictly on a need to have basis. Widespread ownership is non-existent and much of Cuba knows little of the outside world other than gleanings from visitors to the islands. Television is rare as well with the state strictly controlling what the population can bear witness to. A short 50 years ago much of our world was limited as well albeit not through state control but rather by technological advancements of the day.

This lack made for a more cohesive society. We had nothing else to do so we spent it socially engaging with our neighbours and friends, on the streets, in coffee shops and in bars. A trip to Havana is like going back in time 50 years ago to become a first-hand observer to what I suspect was probably a better time. A time when neighbourhoods looked after each other and shared collectively in happiness and in sorrow.

Through this website I hope to share some of the stories of the people of Havana and share some of their teachings to make us think about slowing our society down and caring more about each other. I plan to do this through storytelling and collecting images of people working together and playing together. Hearing individual’s stories and sharing it via words so that readers of this page can visualise a connection with the person being talked about will be part of the content of this site.

Media outline:

The brilliance of the World Wide Web is that users are provided with the opportunity to a truly rich multi-media experience. This site will host photos of the people of Havana at work, at play, in suffering and in happiness.

Where possible audio and video interviews will be held with members of the older generation to learn first-hand what was wrong with their society that a revolution was spawned because of it. What did they and their fellow countryman hope to achieve with Castro’s revolution and most importantly had it all been worth it. Knowing today what they knew 60 years ago would they do it again.

With discussions with people on the streets I hope to learn more of their daily struggles, their hopes and what they think Cuba in 10 years will look like, and ultimately what is important to them. 

—-